a start

As I mentioned in my last post, urban structures are my major inspiration at the moment. They have been for a long time. These images are of the building opposite where i work. It is a typical old apartment block - but everyday i find myself staring at it. I love the shapes, textures and the different shades which for me make up an abstract painting.

I just drew this rough oil pastel sketch and im quite embarrased to show you it (it went in the bin straight after scanning it in!) but it was important for me to get something down on paper.

It is very unusual for me to go down the 'abstract' route but this is what Im feeling right now. It felt good to be drawing but I was frustrated with the medium - the pastels not being heavy enough - not intense enough.

With these ideas in my mind, i really like this set of images - especially this shot.
Happy Monday xx

Edit: Thanks to Lisa s and her wonderful insight, I discovered Richard Diebenkorn and his fantastic paintings.
Below: Berkeley #57 and Cityscape 1.

Thanks Lisa!!

13 Comments:

  1. ruby-crowned kinglette said...
    yay! that journey always begins with the first step... congratulations for starting out.
    Anonymous said...
    getting an abstract right is not easy...but it looks like you are on your way. thanks for sharing your first attempt, even if you weren't totally happy with it.
    KELLY said...
    i'm so happy to see you back to your art...i can see that this subject is going to really work for you. keep going and keep sharing!

    oh and the paris set? wow...that detail is so inspiring! monday hugs xxx
    lisa solomon said...
    great idea and great interpretation... i love looking at diebenkorn's interpretations of berkeley streets and the ocean for the same reason

    xo
    Ursula Achten said...
    Hehee, I know this! That's the moment, when I start painting the white paneel with white colour for a start!
    I love your focus on this theme and I know what you mean about the structures...I would try acrylics! More possibilities to work on those tiny nesty structures like in power-supply-lines!
    Handmade in Israel said...
    Hey Julie! I'm back! Great to see that you are creating again. Hope you're feeling good!
    shari said...
    i love your inspiration! looking forward to seeing more julie! xox
    Tiffany said...
    The building you are using for inspiration is fantastic...there are so many layers there!
    Anonymous said...
    Marvelous to see, from idea and things seen to something on paper. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Anonymous said...
    Love how you see the building as abstract paintings, beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I think it's important to keep rough sketches too, they show trial and error + progress.
    Anonymous said...
    your abstract start is beautiful.
    enjoy your journey :)
    ArtPropelled said...
    I loved to see how you abstracted the building in front of you. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
    Unknown said...
    The photos of the walls are a great idea...

Post a Comment